Students are taking advantage of online learning in record numbers. However, instant access to vast resources of data and information can also be overwhelming. With some planning, learners can control the amount of material as well as the duration of time they need to learn the new information.
Here are a few tips to help our students excel at virtual learning despite the challenges:
- Set a goal: One of the most important strategy for successful online learning is to figure out what we want to get out of the course. Setting a clear goal helps us keep motivated.
- Create a dedicated study space: We do not need to replicate your classroom in your home to participate in online learning, but selecting a comfortable place to study is very helpful. Additionally, choose a predictable reliable time and day for studying and learning. For best results, maintain a calendar.
- Build a study plan: Making a written plan makes it more likely that we will stick with it. It will also give us time to fulfill your other responsibilities. Keep room for error and flexibility in your routine.
- Do one thing at a time: Multitasking is shown to reduce productivity. Staying focused on one thing at a time helps absorb more and complete assignments on time.
- Be an active participant and stay connected: Connect with other students or classmates via chat or call. It is easy to create study groups with multiple social tools.
- Reward yourself for sticking to the program: There are several ways to reward ourselves for studying hard. Summer trips are harder and much more expensive during the pandemic. Still, napping, gaming, watching movies are still accessible to us. A short daytrip with the family can also be a safe activity, if social distancing is practiced at stops.